Perhaps you have heard about Tom Hanks' recent remark about his perception that Mormons' support of Proposition 8 was un-American. Perhaps you have not. Much ado was NOT made about Mr. Hanks' statement or eventual "apology," and that is wrong.
Had he offended any other religion or race, we would have had an international event on our hands. Regardless of how I feel about the Mormon faith, homosexuality or Proposition 8, I'm pretty bugged.
It is interesting to me how people justify themselves. I’m irritated that Mr. Hanks finds it reprehensible to discriminate against homosexuals, yet feels fine about discriminating against Mormons. If one is truly against discrimination, one should be against discrimination of ALL peoples -- else would one not be, in fact, discriminating?
I appreciate his clarification, yet he is not apologizing for and reconsidering his generalization of and negative feelings toward Mormons, as is what one should do when he realizes he has judged an entire people and ventured into hypocrisy. His statement seemed calculated to take the offensive edge off his heartfelt remark and nip any residual chatter in the bud.
If one shouldn't say something about people of a specific race or religious affiliation or sexual persuasion lest it cause offense, one should not say it about Mormons either. The Mormons' right to be treated and spoken to and about with respect is as sacred and Constitutional as any other group's.
(I will not go into the vast amounts of Catholic, Methodist, Evangelical, and minority cash and votes which assisted those of California's Mormons who truly voted for Prop 8, in passing it. Alternately, I know many Mormons who voted against it. Mormons make up less than two percent of California's population, yet they alone -- minus a large chunk of their ranks -- got a law passed? That would be a feat indeed!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Well done Meredith! It was a very good point and very good read.
Love you always,
Andrea
That reminds me of a diversity campaign at the University of Utah a few years back. Everywhere you went there were signs that read "We do not tolerate intolerance." Hmmm.......so what they are saying is that they cannot tolerate themselves because they are being intolerant of those who are intolerant. I love circular logic and double standards.
You are amazing Meredith! You really do have a flair for writing...I feel quite proud to be related to such agreat thinker. Keep posting!
Way to go Meredith! Right on and write on! ;) You do make some very valid points there.
Love you!
It's amazing how prop 8 has unleashed so much negativity towards the church. Like you said, the effects of the church simply have to be overstated by its detractors. And how dumb to call a vote un-American.
Thanks for your thoughts. I love it when you blog!
Post a Comment