Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A patriotic grievance

I need to get something off my chest. Someday I promise to write something funny and winning, but today is not the day. Today, I am truly angry and deeply disappointed.

So, on Friday that horrible Westboro Baptist Church -- the one that sends both adults and small children to protest at military funerals -- will be protesting outside one of our gates. I just read an intelligence briefing encouraging Hanscom people to stay away from the protest due to the emotionally-charged and offensive nature of their protests (apparently they tape protests in case someone becomes violent, then they prosecute to earn funds for more protests -- sick). The protests include desecration of the flag and offensive slogans, both shouted and written on signs. I just read some sample slogans, and my eyes are literally stinging in revulsion.

My great wish is that those with base-related duties, as well as everyone else, will stay far away from that gate and refuse to give these people what they most want -- attention -- but I know already that the press has been alerted to the event. We have received calls from media outlets requesting comment; obviously we do not have one we deem appropriate to share.

I dislike these people far more than I dislike the protesters who hang out at Temple Square. No matter what one's religion, race, gender, sexual-orientation, or creed, the U.S. military should be a uniting entity for Americans. Whether or not we agree on the missions they are commanded to carry out, whether or not every individual who wears the uniform acts in a way that is worthy of it, our troops are who keep us and many others safe and free. I realize the military is not perfect; the mission certainly is not perfect. My eyes are wide open to historical and present controversies and I have my reservations about many things, as those who have talked to me well know.

If one does not agree with the mission, however, the appropriate action to take should be to inform their Congress-person or protest in a federal arena, such as on Capitol Hill, not near the homes of those who serve dutifully to make sure our borders are secure, our people safe and our interests protected.

Whatever the extravagances, arrogance and failures of this nation, its leaders past and present and our military campaigns, I truly believe that our service members are some of the very best of the best. I know the service members that I work with every day are. When I think of the grieving families I see on an all too frequent basis, piled in cars following their loved ones' hearses, and then of these protesters whose insolent slogans have to be drowned out of the cemeteries by the Patriot Riders' revving Harleys, I can't even describe the disgust that floods my soul.

How many of us can say with certainty that we know people who would give their lives for us, if necessary? Every American who knows a member of the military, because our service members have pledged to defend us from "all enemies, foreign and domestic." There should not be domestic enemies.

It does no one any good to upset and hurt people who spend their lives sacrificing their safety, comfort, and family lives to help and protect others. I will never understand people who enjoy doing so, or who imagine God would encourage such behavior.

Shame on this protest, and on the Westboro Baptist Church.*

*I want to clarify that I do NOT associate this particular congregation with any other of the Baptist faith, or with any other faith, for that matter.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Oh, how not fun! I am sorry! Good luck getting through this! We love you!

Robyn said...

I had never heard of this group until last week. Apparently they're out in force because they did some protesting at the University of Chicago campus. Disgusting. I am so sorry that you and your colleagues have to go through this. Your argument is dead on.

Hilda said...

I don't like that one little bit. That group ought to be full on ashamed of themselves! Find another venue, but not when a family is mourning for a loved one.

Andrea said...

I saw this on the news last year. It is horrible. I totally agree with you. Shame on them!

Lucy said...

What a soapbox! You are pretty eloquent about this ridiculous group.

I feel for these families and those of you who weekly and monthly face the families who have lost a dear son or daughter, nephew or niece. I know of your own grief and tears as you greet caskets carrying people near your own age who have been killed forfeiting brilliant careers and life after excellent educations. This congregation should have to view the horrendous videos of cheering enemies who desecrate life--and America. This particular congregation does not understand walking in the shoes of those who mourn or they would never ruin a solemn homecoming for the dead and his/her crestfallen relatives.