Tuesday, October 07, 2008

We'll Be Loving You (Forever), NKOTB

That was then . . .




This is now . . . (!!!)


Some of you are familiar with my penchant for fandemonium in general, which is why I wanted to share an email I sent last week to some good friends who knew me at the height of a particularly intense period of fandom. (Does anyone else remember the poster, featuring my dreamboats posed atop a ladder, which spanned the entire length and width of my bedroom door?) Good times.

Dear (picture your name here),

I was belly laughing this morning on my way to work. Two radio stations I switch back and forth between during my morning drive were taking calls about the two New Kids on the Block concerts that took place here this weekend (you know the Kids are Boston natives, right?).

It was hilarious. All these women around my age (20s to early 40s) were calling in absolutely GUSHING about how great it was.

"Oh, my God! It was the BEST night of my life!"

"I sat in the __ row, and when they came into the audience, I could practically TOUCH them! EEEEEE! I almost fainted!"

"It was definitely the BEST concert I've EVER been to! They were absolutely a-MAZE-ing!!! I couldn't stop screaming and crying!"

"I love them so much!!!!! They're so hot!!!!!!"

"You should have seen the pregnant women trying to squeeze into their teenage New Kids T-shirts!"

"I wore a jean jacket COVERED with the pins I collected in the 90s!"

"All of the sudden I was 12 again!"

"I only have their cassettes, but I am going out TODAY to buy ALL of their music and an iPod!"

So many exclamation points. I kind of wish I had shelled out the cash to go. Apparently they sang ALL of the classics. Aaahhh, the memories.

One station even decided to play, "You Got It (the Right Stuff)," and all these women called in to thank them.

"Just hearing their songs makes my heart pound!"

"That's just what I needed to get me out of bed and excited about the day!"

Ah, je regret! I guess it might have been worth $60 to be that ridiculous again. (And to see other adult women--some much older and there with their DAUGHTERS--do the same.) Next time for SURE. But I won't be calling in to any radio stations--before or after.

--Mere

2 comments:

Aleigh said...

I so totally wanted to go, but the $60 price tag was a bit much for me too. Oh well, there's always their next reunion tour, in another 10 years. ;)

Katie said...

Yesssssssssss...