Sunday, January 30, 2011

The rising generation: pioneers in their own lands

I debated whether or not to share this here, because for reasons I can't entirely explain and despite my Utah background, discussing my religious beliefs in a public forum is difficult for me.  I just tend to keep those things private.  But I was so thrilled and moved by this video that I have to share it.  Besides, my religious views are probably not much of a mystery to the people who know about and might possibly still be checking this blog (which probably began to seem like a hopeless exercise long, long ago).

To preface: It has been nearly 10 years since I spent the summer in St. Petersburg, Russia.  I returned in August 2001, a mere month before the September 11 attacks.

There must have been a point when I was very young that I became aware of Russia and decided it was "my place," but I don't remember what or when that was.  It really has just always been.  I daydreamed, fantasized, prayed and hardly dared to hope that I would someday spend a significant amount of time there, speaking Russian with Russians.  That it actually happened is what made me believe in God, individual miracles and joy.

Now, it's difficult to believe it's been so long ago, but somehow it has.  Spring still reminds me of the time I spent preparing to go -- delivering checks to BYU and travel agents, getting electric converters and taking hilarious classes about how to say no to gypsies (yell "Nyet!" repeatedly and keep walking) and "roll" into a crowded subway train.  I was 22 then, and I felt so old.

I'll save most of my impressions of Russia for another day (or, perhaps, forever), but one thing I felt distinctly was concern for the church's growth in Russia.  I had several Russian and Ukrainian friends at BYU, and when I considered my interactions with them and with the young people I met in Russia, I wondered if any young adults who joined the church would remain in their homeland.  Despite family ties and national loyalty, most young church members seemed to want to attend BYU and explore the world. 

When I thought about this in conjunction with some very deeply-rooted cultural differences that would present obstacles to church standards adherence, I didn't feel very hopeful about the prospects of a large church presence in Russia.  I knew about the announcement of the Kiev, Ukraine, temple and became more hopeful after several talks were given by general authorities about being a missionary in one's own country. 

It took so long for the church to be allowed into the former Soviet Union -- what could be better than seeing it thrive? 

I should not have doubted.  The Kiev temple was dedicated in August of last year, and this clip is proof that the church is in good hands.  Enjoy.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

love your comments Mere. Thanks for sharing them.

Jana said...

Wow! Meredith! That video gave me the chills. I am so glad you posted that, and I got to see it! Love you!